We get asked quite often about natural deodorants, their effectiveness, why some work better, or work for some and not others.
First let me start off by saying this is an important change to make in your daily routine! Conventional deodorants can have some potentially harmful ingredients that can cause allergic reactions, hormone disruption, affect immune systems, and are known carcinogens (cancer causing). Here are some of the ingredients you definitely want to avoid when shopping:
- Talc – considered a carcinogen as some contain asbesiform fibres and there is no way of knowing.
- Triclosan – can cause allergic reactions, disrupt the endocrine & immune system.
- BHT – can cause allergic reactions and has been linked to cancer.
- Propylene glycol – found in anti-freeze and plane de-icer! Need we say more!
- Parabens – cheap preservatives that mimic estrogen and have been found in breast cancer tumors.
- Fragrance – most of these have not been tested for safety in personal products, known to cause irritations, allergic reactions, and hormone disruption.
So now you’ve decided to make the switch! YAY! But, you try one and it doesn’t work, maybe another, same result. Discouraged you want to go back, DON’T!!! Instead you may need to DETOX those pits! Your lymph nodes can store a lot of those yucky ingredients so you want to help flush them out and this will help your body PH adjust as well. Dry brushing is another great way to help improve lymph circulation.
Here is a simple recipe to try:
Take 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and put it in a water bottle with 2 – 3 oz of water. Before applying the deodorant, spray the pits, let dry and then apply deodorant over top.
Another method is adding in a little Bentonite Clay to the mixture to help draw out the impurities and toxins.
We stock some of the best natural deodorants that we have found, tried & use! Plus, they are all made locally!!! Just The Goods, Mama Pacha and Made For Skin have proven themselves time and time again!