We have been so impressed with the amount of folks coming in looking to make the small changes to live plastic free!
At Generation Green we continue to look for innovative products that can make these consumer choices affordable and accessible. We also want to continue to encourage people to reuse and reduce their waste by refilling, purchasing in bulk, practicing mindful consumerism and if visiting our in-store cafe, please bring back any packaging received to have composted.
Here are our top 10 plastic free alternatives as we head into Plastic Free July!
- Reusable Straws – we stock Onyx Containers stainless steel straws, locally made glass straws from Brook Drabot and silicone straws made in Canada from Colibri. To make it even easier to bring your own straw, we have some lovely, local carrying sleeves from Twinkle & Blink and Colibri wide bag fits 4 of their silicone straws easily!
- Produce/Bulk Bags – another fantastic local find from Practical Homestead, that we recently stocked. That plastic, good for nothing roll at the grocery store is definitely a huge focus for many to replace and has us happy dancing over here at GG!
- Ditch the saran wrap and try one of these options – Abeego beeswax food wraps or also from Practical Homestead washable, food safe bowl covers, sandwich and cheese wraps. Of course Colibri has long been stocking us with reusable sandwich and snack bags that you’ll find a hundred and one uses for!
- Bulk!! Bring in those bottles & jars and fill them here at Generation Green with shampoo, body wash, lotions, dish soap, laundry soap & more (see our full list here).
- Oral Health – Bamboo toothbrushes from BAM Brush and our fabulous find (that took forever!) from Flosspot Gold is vegan corn fibre dental floss. Also available in refill!
- Razors – invest in a solid brass safety razor from Well Kept that will last you forever!! Did you know that it’s estimated that over 2 billion plastic razors are discarded in the US alone!?!
- Shampoo & Conditioner bars from The Unwrapped Life hit the shelves here a month ago and we’re pretty darn impressed with them! The biggest being that they replace approx 2.5 bottles, so wastefree and economical!
- Carry a cup/bottle! This is an easy one! Find one you love and bring it everywhere to have filled.
- Cutlery – we have travel cutlery from Joseph Joseph called Go Eat that contains a magnetic fork, spoon and knife that all clip together conveniently in a silicone storage case.
- We love that more companies are thinking about packaging, like Glowing Orchid Organics with their new paper tube deodorant that we are now stocking (and love!)
Lastly, REFUSE – have your say to what you purchase and how you purchase it. It’s an ongoing effort but changes are happening! Be one of the change makers!